7.25.2017

Surely there has to be a better word...

There is a 4 letter word that I just hate...

And I said it the other day and it caused all sorts of drama...

It's the S-word... 

As in sure.

Uhhh... sure - what does that even mean?!?

Sure to me means, "I guess - since I have nothing better to do - but I don't really want to."

I know this is not how everyone interprets sure - to Blake sure means, "Yes!" But he has learned to never ever under no circumstance respond to me asking "Want to go on a date?" with the answer "Sure."

Just a few months ago, I finally confessed to my mother-in-law my issues with that word. It was her go to response when I asked her to babysit and I knew it secretly meant she hated me. This of course was not true and she laughed assuring me that for her sure was a happy answer - like "Sure thing!"

Well, last week I goofed. I arrived home from errands and had a brief minute in the car to respond to the 10 text messages that had gathered on my phone while out. I was trying to be quick and efficient so when I saw my friend requesting to drive to a baby shower together - I quickly typed in "Sure..." Even as I wrote it I cringed - sure was bad, adding ellipsis to the end was even worse - but I was in a hurry and thinking no one else shared my issues with the word I thought I was safe. 

Awhile later, my phone dinged and Julie called me out, "Don't be too excited about it. We don't have to if you don't want."

Crap - Julie shared my distaste of the word and I blew it. How could I ever convince her that I too despised that word when I had used it in it's worst form - on a text where it is devoid of all voice clues?!? I chuckled and apologized and told her I had a good story for her that night.

So we drove to the shower and recounted all the people we knew who use sure in a positive way - what is wrong with those people? Then Julie spent the week taking an informal survey. Now a week after my blunder, I realize Julie and I are in the minority - maybe sure isn't such a dirty word after all. 

But then I got a text. I wanted a friend to help with my church lesson... her answer "Sure"

And my heart dropped...

5 comments:

Britt said...

I agree that "sure" is a dangerous text response. In order to keep it positive, it must be followed by exclamation points or unicorn and happy face emojis. Never ellipses!

"Ok" is dangerous too.

Kristen said...

You are right! They are wrong!

Tammy C. said...

Woops, guess i better stop using "sure".

AndersonGR8 said...

This post sure made for a good read. I am on the positive side of sure - so if ever asked and that is my response - take it as a "I would love to do that!". Like, "Dad, would you like to go for a run with me?" and if my answer is "Sure" - I really really would love that.

Chadwick and Julie said...

Sounds like "sure" is a positive response about half the time. Agreed that it should be used with caution....I am still giggling about our conversation about that word, Cyndi!