6.26.2017

Luna won...

Luna...

Agggghhhhh...

When she was tiny my sarcastic brother-in-law asked, "Why would you ever name a baby after something that is up all night?" He was referring to the moon and I shrugged off his lame joke because Luna slept like a champ from day 1.

That is until she didn't.

I've been battling Luna's bad sleep for about a year now - it first started because of recurring ear infections. Now I don't know what the cause of her nighttime angst is but it is starting to really interfere with our lifestyle. I don't want to take her on trips/camping, I feel bad when family comes to stay and she cries and cries keeping the whole house awake, and I no longer feel comfortable leaving her overnight with Grandma... no one but parents should have to deal with her drama at 3am.

First we resolved the fact that she could get out of the crib and got her in a toddler bed, then we solved the problem with her not staying in her room (we use a monkey latch - I know it is barbaric), but now I don't know what to do about the crying and the crying and the crying.

Last night, I decided that she just needed to stay in her room without mom coming back in once or twice in the middle of the night to give her milk and a hug (that is all she wants at night and will go back to sleep once I give it to her - the key word is "I" in that statement... not Dad, not Auntie, not Grandma no one but Mom). So at 3am when I heard her start to holler I just turned over and pretended to sleep - she hollered on and off for 30 minutes until Blake went up to give her milk. She quieted down for about 20 minutes (you know just enough time for mom to think she has won and has gloriously just fallen back to sleep herself) but then started screaming again. Another 30 minutes and Blake tries again... and fails again. Ughhhh - all she is doing is hollering over and over and over, "Mama, Mama, Mama!" I know if I go up there that I could get her to go back to sleep but I have being this for over a year and the girl is capable of sleeping through the night and really just needs to develop the skills to do it on her own. So I stay in bed - for another 30 minutes and she won't stop and Blake is able to fall peacefully back to sleep and all I can think about is ripping each and everyone of my eyelashes out... so finally I go upstairs... I refuse to cuddle her... I am all business, "Here is your milk now get back in bed." She does as she is told and I think it just might work for about 10 minutes until she goes into it again. This time when I tell her get back in bed I notice it is all wet from her faulty sippy cup. Luckily there is another crib mattress in the room so I switch it out... she refuses to get in the bed with the new mattress... so I pick her up. I rock her all of 2 minutes and she is out and doesn't wake up again until morning.

At this point, I am so worked up about the whole thing I can't see strait or maybe that is because I don't have my contacts in. I can tell that it is already starting to get light outside and I have been up since 3am so I have to lay on the couch and read a chapter of my book until I get drowsy again. It is awful on so many levels especially since somewhere in one of my google docs I started to write about sleep strategies for children that I planned to future blog about because up until a year ago I felt so pro at getting my kids to sleep through the night on their own.

2 hours of letting her cry it out and Luna still won...

7 comments:

Jo said...

I am sorry! Jake was my worst. I had to get up and touch him. Just touch him. Several times a night.

Micah Taylor said...

agggghhhh is right! Jadzia is a champion sleeper so far and I am so scared she's gonna stop. Sending happy vibes and a clearhead to your sleep deprived household!!

Micah Taylor said...

ps I love the summer blog banner :)

Tammy C. said...

Get some ear plugs....that's what I did. ;-)

Britt said...

We are going through the same thing with Eva right now. It took her 18 months to start sleeping through the night. Then three months ago, she started waking up and screaming in the night again. It's miserable! And sleep deprivation is no joke! Let's cry together from across state lines.

Chadwick and Julie said...

I laughed when you mentioned that Blake fell back asleep without a problem. Chadwick is like that too and I lay there and fume and at injustice of it all! Oh, Luna...

HowellAZ said...

I'm sorry, that's miserable! I'm no pro and therefore cannot offer advice. I turn into monster mom on too little sleep. Unfortunately,this scary fact doesn't prevent my kids from waking me up at night.