NYC #2...

Friday we awoke at 8am and were quite proud of ourselves for "sleeping in." We got ready for another day of walking and headed out in hunt for some bagels. Best Bagels and Coffee was the spot - for us and about 50 commuters. The place was packed but worth the wait.

We hopped the Subway over to Ground Zero.

An unforgettable experience.

One World Trade Center - fourth tallest building in the world. The architecture makes it appear to become a pyramid at the top when looking from the bottom.

 Blake outsmarted the long wait of lines for the museum by buying tickets on his phone and we walked right in.

The museum was the highlight of our trip to New York. The experience felt sacred as we went through the timeline of 9/11. The devastation of that day was tangible and the respect of the visitors towards this could be felt.

My favorite installment called, Trying to Remember the Color of the Sky, about 3000 watercolors of varying shades of blue.

I held it together through the majority of the museum until we got to the display on the "jumpers." They estimate between 50 to 200 people chose falling over the flames when it came to ending their life. Those viewing this horrific scene felt compelled to watch. As one person was quoted, "We felt like we needed to give them this one last acknowledgment - I can not save you but I will see you through the end." I can think of nothing more tragic.

 If you go to New York, take the time to visit this museum. It was incredible - the term "beautiful heartbreak" kept coming to my mind. People found a way to make the worst day of worst days into something beautiful and worth pausing over - a task that would seem impossible in the undertaking.

The Survivor Tree ready to burst with it's Spring blossoms with One World Trade Center in the background.

After Ground Zero, we walked on through Wall Street and Trinity Church (think National Treasure).

Tomb of Alexander Hamilton which reminded us how sad we were when we found out tickets to Hamilton were $850 for the worst seat in the house... a New York experience we had to miss out on.

 We made our way down to the water where we took the Stanton Island Ferry for a joy ride.

Manhattan skyline from the ferry.

New Jersey skyline from the ferry.

Lady Liberty and Ellis Island from the ferry.

 Stanton Island was a bust. We were on the wrong side of town or something but there wasn't much to see or do there (unlike what my tour book had told me). We grabbed some mediocre NY-style pizza around the corner then headed back. But it was nice to rest our legs and see the sights from the ferry.

We headed back to the hotel... took a nap and threw on some church clothes.

We went to the Manhattan temple which caught me off guard because it was just squeezed in on a corner between skyscrapers and looked so untemple like. The session was a nice break from the hustle and bustle of the big city.

After the temple, we were hungry and headed to the tourist-trap Serendipity. It was late and the wait was 45 minutes. So we took in Dylan's Candy shop next door while we waited.

Back at the restaurant, we were famished and got an entrĂ©e to split and their world famous frozen hot chocolate. The desserts there are worth the price - the food there was not. If I did it again - I would still go but only after I had eaten dinner somewhere else. We paid $25 for a piece of toast with a few chicken slices on it and a salad (aka a bowl of lettuce) that we had to fight the waiter for. And the place was painful because every other person in the restaurant was getting these amazing looking desserts, eating like 5 bites of it and leaving. Blake and I were dying to rescue all the poor abandoned sundaes... don't these people know how to eat ice cream?!? And that they just paid $15 for that ice cream?!?

After we extracted ourselves from the sad gaze of the orphaned ice creams, we headed to Rockefeller Center.

Unfortunately, the Lego store was closed. The one store that we probably would have went into in all of New York.
 Mini-figs standing on a platform in single colors... very cool.

 We finally found some nature! This arrangement was beautiful for Easter.

Twirling moss bunny balancing a floral egg.

The lillys were exquisite.

Once I finally talked Blake into not heading back to Junior's for second dessert, we headed back to our hotel wiped from another day.

No comments: