4.21.2017

NEW YORK CITY!!!

Blake and I took the trip of a lifetime this past week... it all started because he qualified to run the Boston Marathon and if there is any lesson I have learned from my father it is this, "If you qualify to run Boston - you run Boston!" So we made it a tourism trip just for the two of us - First stop New York City!!!

Well, actually... first stop was Vancouver, WA to drop off the kiddos with my sister-of-the-year, Kara, where they stayed for a week. We left Tuesday after school and drove to Vancouver. Wednesday, we got the kids settled in and Kara's fridge stocked then took off from the Portland airport at about 7:30pm. We had a brief layover in Seattle where the fact that I was abandoning my children really set in.

Blake about to board our red-eye... or as I like to call it, "The flight that never ends!" We flew out of Seattle around 10:30 Pacific time.

We landed in New York at 6:30 am Eastern time. We had our first adventure on the Subway, dropped off our luggage at our hotel, and started our hunt for breakfast. Our first plan to head up to the top the Empire State Building to check out the skyline was quickly foiled by our cheapness - $35/a person to ride an elevator - no thank you.

So then we just started walking... EVERYWHERE. Blake was great at working the Subway but even so - we walked and walked and walked some more. We went by the New York Public Library (that wasn't open yet).

Headed to Central Park where we quickly learned that people in New York use their parks quite different than people in Idaho. I think I saw one patch of grass where it was acceptable to actually walk on it. There was an awesome castle that gave us a good view of the city.

From Central Park, we headed to The Met... also known as "The museum that never ends." It was cool...

but after a few exhibits

our jet-lag began

to really

set-in.

We speed walked the last couple of exhibits before we decided we were no longer gaining anything from our visit. We wanted to go by TKTS to get tickets for a show so we headed that direction (completely opposite direction of our hotel mind you) and found a great salad place that gave us a much needed boost. After scoring some tickets to STOMP, we crawled our way back to the hotel where we showered off the road-trip feeling and crashed for an hour.

After naptime, we cleaned ourselves up and headed back out. We followed our first Jim Gaffigan recommendation for dinner at Tacombi at Fonda Nolita. It was fantastic and out of everywhere we ate (and boy did we eat!) the one place I would force all my friends to go to if I ever dragged them to New York with me.

It is pure tacos and they were heavenly and the atmosphere was fun. A total hole-in-the-wall that pulls it off in style. Oh and can I just say - the weather!!! We had the best weather for this trip and it made the experience so much more enjoyable.

We kept walking, only to stop for every building that would make me pause and say, "Look at that CHURCH!" The east coast knows how to do churches and I could make a calendar with all the pictures that I took of different houses of worship.

We also had to make a pit stop at McDonald's so I could use a bathroom. Trying to find a place for the pregnant lady to pee in New York deserve a blog post all on it's own... but I will probably never get around to it. I will suffice it to say that buying a $1 ice cream at McDonalds to get the key only to unlock the door to find yourself in the creepiest restaurant alley known to man then entering the bathroom where you are afraid to wash your hands because touching more surfaces than absolutely necessary is a bad idea, is a once in a lifetime experience all in it self.

We made our way to STOMP - you know the guys who make music with brooms and garbage cans - it was so much more than that and phenomenal.

They don't allow pictures during the show but here is a stage shot. Music with pure junk - these are my kind of people!

After STOMP, we headed to Times Square.

And finished the night with cheesecake from Junior's because my dad told me to and I am an obedient daughter. Chocolate mousse for me and red velvet for Blake... delicious!

We made it back to our hotel about 1am, laughed at our ridiculously high step-count on Blake's Garmin, and crashed hard!

No comments: