3.19.2017

That year in which all my kids slept...

It was a good year... I was smug in my "There is one thing we do right and that is we know how to get kids to sleep." Ahhhh... I can still remember the glory of it all. Bedtime at 8 for the littles/9 for the girls, the kids sleeping until 7am, no middle of the night intrusions... it was really really good.

But something happened this last February and now everything is broken. It all started with Perry who decided 6:15am is a perfectly acceptable time to walk out his bedroom door saying, "Mom?!?" in his signature this-time-I-am-sure-she-has-abandoned-me-forever-question-of-a-wail-voice. So we got him a clock and showed him where the first digit is displayed and said, "You can not come until there is a 7 here." It works - most of the time. Then Fielding started having very croupy sounding cough fits each night for the past 3 weeks... He is going to the doctor tomorrow because it is not normal and makes me want to pull out each one of my eyelashes when I wake to the sound of his hacks. Then there is Luna...

Luna started sleeping through the night at 2 weeks... it was glorious and scary but the pediatrician gave me the ok and so I let the girl sleep. And she has slept wonderfully the rest of her existence (barring a few ear infections and the one time we put her in the laundry room for a month and she about froze to death). But then she learned the art of climbing out of her crib and she instantly turned from the best sleeper to one of the worst. She wails and wails when we lie her down, gets out of bed over and over, wakes at least once a night to repeat the performance and by 6am has somehow seemed to weasel her way into our bed (the ultimate "I do not do that" mantra of my parenting). If anyone else asked for advice from me on this situation... I would say, "Put her in a toddler bed." but she seems too young and incapable of actually staying in it and she is difficult to discipline due to her lack of communication and maybe I have just gone too soft.

Ummmm, I had a point when I started writing all this... but it is gone now that I had to put Luna back in bed 3 times. 

I guess the point is this, My sister Jaci once told me, "No mom has ever died from sleep deprivation." I liked that and clung to it in those beginning years of learning how to get Paisley to sleep. But now I am old and suffering 1st trimester exhaustion and it might not be killing me but it definitely ain't making me any stronger... I need my kids to sleep and I thought I had it all figured out but now I don't... 

BAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! 

And I am going to have another...
(In October - I'll blog about it sometime - maybe - if that part of me that loves to write ever reappears).

And what if they never sleep...

And maybe Jaci didn't know what she was talking about and it might just do me in...

And it is making me crazy. 

5 comments:

Jana Weaver said...

Congratulations on the new baby....So sorry about the sleep deprivation.

Britt said...

Bless your tired heart! and congrats and the new energy sucker!

HowellAZ said...

Yay oh yay! Congrats on your exciting news, shrouded in the terrible, no good, sleep-inturrupting-kiddos news. I think probably every mom is totally with you on this subject. Well, except me, because my kids have always slept perfectly. Bahaahaa, snort!!!

The Woods said...

Congrats!! (on the baby not the sleep deprivation) :)

Kristen said...

Gguuhrrrll, you buried the lede! Congratulations!!!! But I do hope everyone starts sleeping again.