1.17.2017

The most serious runner of them all...

A few years back, we were in Washington for Thanksgiving and had spent the morning running the Clark County Turkey Trot. It is a casual race whose proceeds benefit the local food pantry and we run it with the purpose of burning off a few calories before loading up on pumpkin pie. My sister, Kara, is always kind enough to front pack my babies while she runs along with some of my slower kids and this year as they were in the total bottleneck that is the back of the pack (it is an out and back and way congested), a lady attempted to pass on the shoulder yelling repeatedly "Serious runner! Serious runner! Please let me pass!" I love this story and it makes me laugh every time I hear it because what on earth was she thinking... and because... well, Blake has become her.

Blake runs... 

A lot... 

Having a serious runner husband has became a bigger part of my life than I ever thought possible.

He eats, sleeps, and talks running. It has all but consumed him... vacations are decided on race locations, groceries are purchased based on their amount of protein, and weekday bedtime is 9:30 because well come Monday morning I got 21 miles to run before I go to work. We watched the movie Me Before You awhile back, I don't remember much about the show except one of the supporting characters was obsessed with running - Blake and I laughed and laughed at him because although he was supposed to be an over-exaggeration of what a runner is he was point on when it comes to Blake.

Here are a few anecdotes to document just serious he has become:

*In 2016, Blake ran just over 2016 miles. At the start of the year, we decided that together we would set the goal to run 2016 miles between the two of us. But come November he had to break the news to me, "I don't need your mileage. I got this." This averages to just under 40 miles a week, and 5.5 miles a day (Although he never runs on Sunday).

*It is bitter here - has been for weeks. The last time I ran outside was Paisley's 10k. The cold has not slowed down Blake the least. If outside seems too daunting, he has been known to run 18 miles on a treadmill - 18 miles just running in place - AGHHHHH! I am going insane just thinking about it. And when he is feeling like heading out - he does 21 miles in  negative 2 degree weather and comes back looking like this:

Yes - that is an icicle on his chin.

*Our most recent Amazon package included Sports Beans, Stinger Waffles, a ski mask (see above picture) and the book, "Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?" I could not help but roll my eyes as I pulled out each item. Blake spends zero discretionary money on anything... except running... which turns out to not be the cheap sport when you hit his level of commitment.

*He has a new training plan for Boston. It has some fancy name but I just refer to it as the "Run more miles then any other normal human being ever would." plan. I overheard him talking to a running friend in which he said that he hopes to get up to 70 miles a week. He knows better than to say such words strait to my face.

In any other relationship, I am pretty sure that I would be the runner of the group. But with him and his mileage, I feel like a lazy bum. Sometimes I am proud of his accomplishments and the level of passion he has for something. But in all honesty other times, like the lady at the Turkey Trot, I just want to slap the serious runner out of him.

Blake and I running Robie in 2010... before things got serious. 

Is that a cotton tee, Blake? Can you believe that running existed before tech shirts, heart rate monitors, and receiving kudos on Strava... those were the dark ages!!! 

7 comments:

Kara Bowman said...

I love this post!! He is crazy and insane! But he does motivate me to not make excuses and get my lazy butt out for a run! And remember behind every serious runner is a support system! Way to be the supportive and patient wife to a serious runner! You Rock!!

Jana Weaver said...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, probably both, one for each of you. Way to keep running Cyndi, I think I'd want to give it up with how much you probably feel up against. And best of luck, Blake, at the Boston Marathon. I sure hope you plan to have some vacation time after the race!

Crystal said...

I don't know if y'all are all going to Boston, but if you combine with a trip to DC let me know...my husband is Secret Service and can do a White House tour (without having to go through your congressman). And if you ever need somewhere to stay near DC (we are 5 minutes from the temple) we have lots of room. :)

AndersonGR8 said...

So happy I adopted the Roadrunner nomicur first or I would bestow it on him. Boston, here you come!

AndersonGR8 said...

So happy I adopted the Roadrunner nomicur first or I would bestow it on him. Boston, here you come!

HowellAZ said...

Hahaha! Blake! You remind me of Ben in the way of being obsessed with something. I'm so glad flying is going to actually bring in money, instead of only seeing money fly out the window. Otherwise, I would be much more crazy than I already am!

Britt said...

Is the wearing socks on his hands??? It's hard to take the serious runner seriously with socks on his hands. Ha ha ha ha!