1.05.2017

Snow days syndrome...

On Tuesday, I did a good deed. The man in front of me at Wal-mart had forgotten his wallet - I paid for his groceries. It seemed like an easy way to earn some good karma.

Not five minutes later, I walked into my house to see that there was a substantial leak from our dining room ceiling. This was the first day that the kids had returned to school after Christmas Break and I looked forward to putting Fielding on his mid-day bus and finally "catching up" during naptime. Instead, I spent the next two hours handing shovels and axes and stockings full of ice melt up to Blake, who raced home from work early, and was now on the roof chipping away at our "ice dam."

This was followed by a long night involving Luna waking at 4:30am, school calling at 5am informing half of the Treasure Valley that it was a snow day, and Fielding and Perry coming into bed at 7am only to head-butt me in the nose (twice) in a 5 minute period. I had an early morning doctor appt that I had been diligent about arranging childcare for but with no school the childcare fell to pieces. Gratefully, Blake could stay home until I could get back which took twice as long in the snow-packed city.

The kids had snow day bliss as they ran in and out of the house changing gloves and water-soaked coats out for fresh-from-the-dryer ones. I tried to avert my eyes since Wednesday is mop day because really what was the point.  At 5pm, when I got the text saying that tomorrow would also be a snow day - I kind of wanted to cry. One is happy and fun with friends over, snowman attempts, and hot chocolate. Two just gets old.

Today at 6am, when my husband woke me from my peaceful slumber informing me that his car was stuck in the middle of the road, I did cry. I went out to help but was just put on "go get a shovel" duty which meant tromping through an acre of knee-deep snow (not exaggerating) in hopes to find the shovel we forgot about back in September. Blake worked from home and the plans I had for the day fell through as we were legitimately snowed in for a few hours. By lunch, I braved going to get pizza for lunch - turns out Papa Johns had a snow delay and were not open. We ate ramen instead. And at 4pm, when the school texted saying that tomorrow be our third snow day in a row, I returned to my hopes of finding comfort in pizza. They were now open - I would grab it after Paisley's gymnastics - an XL bacon chicken ranch pizza would make everything better. But alas, I goofed on my online order due to the giftcard I was trying to use (and the half a brain I had while wrangling the 4 little ones at the gymnastic arena). When I went to pick up and they handed me a large pepperoni that I paid $12 bucks for, I was furious. I tried to explain. They tried to explain it was my fault. I left with the offending pizza. We came home - everyone ate pizza - I ate eggs and toast (a large isn't enough pizza for us).

I was furious... no good karma this week... not even a little.

OK - maybe a little...

 I found piggy footsies for Luna for $1. Tonight they make everything ok.

4 comments:

Jana Weaver said...

So sorry for the rough week...Sure hope things get better.

Britt said...

Oh man! I am crying for you!

Erinlizabeth said...

Sounds like everyone had an "awesome" week. We need a vacation to Hawaii. Or the Bahamas.

HowellAZ said...

Oh my word! We've been hearing about all the snow, ice and freezing weather. It's so much harder to deal with when there are small kids at home. Stay safe, warm, and out of knee-deep snow!