12.04.2016

Tree Expedition 2016...


We really did not have time to go get our tree yesterday, but all the rest of our Saturdays are shaping up to be just as crazy - so we squeezed it in by making an early morning run to Idaho City. And at 7pm when I was still trying to get the beast decorated and I came to the realization that we had been working on "get the tree set-up" since 7am that morning, I kind of wanted to throw in the towel on this tradition. But then this morning, I awoke and plugged her in and instantly forgave her for the pine needle trail from my minivan to the living room and the sap that I am still scrubbing at on my hands and the mountain of damp snow clothes in the hamper. I love our tree. I love that it looks like something you would just happen to stumble upon in the mountains that fairy tale squirrels and birds had made a collective effort to decorate. I love that someday my child will respond to the question, "What were your childhood holiday traditions?" with, "Every year we would go get our tree from the mountains." 

...and they will smile as they say it as they remember how crazy it always was...

Little ones crying.
Boots falling off in the snow.
No traditional Christmas trees in sight.
Dad carrying the beast on his back (sometimes with a baby under the other arm).
Cold to the bone hands.
Hot chocolate that was always too hot or too cold.
Winding car sick roads.
Dad hacking the tree apart just to get it in the house.
The tree never fitting in the base.
The tree falling over.
Mom getting shocked by the faulty lights.
The tree falling over again.
The rope in the back tied to weights to keep it from tipping.

And all the other perfectly imperfect traits that come along with it.

2 comments:

AndersonGR8 said...

A herculean effort for tghe Taylors, love it. Look forward to seeimg it.

AndersonGR8 said...

A herculean effort for tghe Taylors, love it. Look forward to seeimg it.