11.15.2016

Gratitude Day 7...

A talent

If you ask my daughters what I am good at they will report painting. I am sure every Mother's Day they have mislead numerous teachers and leaders when they fill out those survey things that I am some Van Gogh - but that is not the truth. What they mean is I am good at sloppy painting. Painting that gets all over walls and furniture and my clothes. There is rarely a time anymore that I am not painting something. I love that paint can transform old and dirty into crisp and clean. I love that paint can change the feel of a room, the look of a dresser, or the unmatchingness of picture frames. I love that it is quick and cheap. I love that there is nothing as beautiful as bright white trim freshly touched-up (too bad the scuffs and skids always come back). I love that I am surprisingly good at it. Just last week, I painted a desk, two picture frames, two plant stands, some wood decor, and attempted the ultimate by chalk painting an upholstered chair (Not worth it - takes forever and the feel of the fabric after is like horrific fake leather. I quit after one side of one cushion). I am grateful that paint has the power to make my house look somewhat put together... and that I have the gumption to do it... most days.

And I discovered a talent within a talent - I can paint an entire piece with a kitty on my shoulder.

All the things in the queue for painting (courtesy of Craigslist's free section).

1 comment:

Erinlizabeth said...

I need to convince Dan that paint isn't the enemy...