11.11.2016

Gratitude Day 3...

A friend.

My life has been richly blessed by those I call friends. The thought of just picking one to highlight here is too difficult, But there is a category of friend that is my absolute favorite - the kind of friend I appreciate above others - I love friends who inspire me to do something. Friends that after I visit, I want to cook a perfect loaf of bread, tackle that DIY project that has been forming in my mind, or be more attentive to the needs of my spirited 3 year-old. After our last move, I feel like I have landed in a sea of friends that meet this criteria. Friends that are talented and inspiring in the way they shape their home and care for their families. Here is one instance that happened recently with a friend that highlights this. I went to pick up my boys from a friend's home after they spent an afternoon playing there. Her daughter opened the door and when I walked into the living area, there was my friend surrounded by 6 little people (2 of them mine, 4 of them hers) rolling out Halloween cookies. It was like out of a magazine but not - the kids were antsy for their turn, the place was an absolute mess, and the cookies looked sub-par. But she was doing it - she was tackling the "Make Halloween cookies" on her to-do list and it inspired me to go home and do the same... when in all actuality I kind of wanted to skip it this year. That is the type of friend I prize above all others - the ones I walk away from thinking, "They are doing it and I can too!"

2 comments:

HowellAZ said...

Well you may be delighted to know that YOU are just that type of friend!!!

Shelby Olson said...

I totally felt that way after leaving your house. It lasted for about 3 days and then I remembered how terrible I am at painting 😜