6.20.2016

Wasatch Back...

Originally, my dad and I were going to run this together but with an injury and a lot on his plate - he had to pass on the extra seat in the van to Blake, who was a very willing and fast substitute.

It made the babysitting a wee bit more ridiculous but with the help of Grandma and Grandpa Taylor, a babysitter in their ward, Grandma Nay, and Cousin Jana - the kids were well taken care of. Thank you to all who helped!

Thursday, Blake and I went to a team dinner where we met the 12 people that we would be spending the next 30 hours with. We quickly learned they were kindred spirits who ordered water at restaurants, loved post-run chocolate milk, and enjoyed a good running story.

Friday, we headed to the first exchange around 9am since we were Van 2. Van 1 had drawn the short stick and had to leave for the starting line in Logan at 3am.

Some "shots" from the "expo."

Pretty soon, we saw Emily from Van 1 making her way towards us. I was the first runner for our van so I headed to the exchange point.

She handed off to me...

I handed off to Bert...

Who handed off to Ben...

Who handed off to Kelly...

Who handed off to Blake...

Who passed this fantastic volunteer...

Who handed off to Matt...

Who handed it back to Van 1...

Then we repeated 3 times.

Evening (one of the most beautiful runs I have ever run).

Middle of the night.

Morning.

And afternoon.

 We finally made it to Midway, 200 miles from were we started.

Team Aching Bad.

On the leader board, for a few minutes, at least.

 We grabbed a few last minute freebies then were on our way. We grabbed our kiddos and a salad - the car food/running combo reeked havoc on my tummy - then headed home Saturday night. I think my rear is permanently bruised from all the driving... by far the worst part.

 A few parting shots...

Decorating the van.

Both van teams hanging out Snow Basin - one of the major exchanges.

Most the team splurged on the $15 burgers the ski lodge was selling.

Blake and I stuck with our Mountain House Meals... saved us a buck and a stomach ache on our next run.

Can you spot the 7 passed out runners in the lodge foyer?

 I'm so glad I ran this particular Ragnar because it introduced me to the fact that Utah could be beautiful. Turns out that I've always seen the over-populated part of Utah, after seeing barn after magnificent barn, I could almost live there... almost.

Another long exchange wait... 

I am so mad that I didn't bring a book. I figured since I can't read in a car that I didn't need one - turns out we weren't always in the car. I settled on taking pictures of Blake reading instead.

 Most of the exchanges were at chapels... makes me wonder how they do these races in other states when there isn't a Mormon church on every corner.

 Blake playing bump with the BYU cross country team - unfortunately he missed his shot.

Blake and I only packed one chocolate milk a piece. Turns out this was way not enough... luckily some kids were selling the full-fat goodness on the side of the street. Worth every penny!

It was a fun event... And a great way to get this guy (and 5 other sweaty, tired middle-aged men) all to myself on Father's Day weekend. 

But just a bit of advice if you ever run one - when you pull into the exchange at 1am and don't run again until 6am, get out of the van and into a sleeping bag. The ground would have been infinitely better than 6 grown people trying to get some ZZZzzzs in a mini-van. I still don't understand why none of us got out... I blame it on post-run deliriousness.

And there you go - a blog post about as long as the actual race... 

7 comments:

Micah Taylor said...

nice! you guys are running champions :)

Chadwick and Julie said...

I love the question about why no one got out of the van to try and sleep. I did the same thing with three other girls in a Jeep back in college during a relay...not our brightest moments. Sure was a stinky moment, though, all shoved in the car with no shoes. Glad you had fun!

Britt said...

Way to go!

HowellAZ said...

You guys rock! Glad you were able to sort it out with child care so you could make it happen.

HowellAZ said...

You guys rock! Glad you were able to sort it out with child care so you could make it happen.

AndersonGR8 said...

Sure missed a nice event with great people. The running community can be fun...and exhausting.

AndersonGR8 said...

Sure missed a nice event with great people. The running community can be fun...and exhausting.