3.13.2016

In memory...

There are certain ways that you don't want to receive phone calls...

at 4 in the morning...

the same person ringing over and over and over again...

And missing a call on your own phone and then shortly having your spouses ring...

I knew as soon as I saw my mom's number on Blake's phone that something was wrong. It was confirmed by the overheard tone of voice and the crushing look on Blake's face as he looked up to me and said, "It is your brother David. Him and Jess died in a plane accident."

David is my 40-year-old older brother. Jess was the love of his life and his wife of about 17 years. Together they have 3 children, who they loved greatly and spoiled shamelessly. David is the most generous person I knew, he never showed up anywhere without treats or prizes or dinner. My children loved him, especially Cosette, because David (and Jess) always gave her free reign over their phones. He was a great uncle and my children are truly mourning his death. He tickled and teased and was always the first to grab whichever baby I was holding out of my arms and argue mercilessly with Kara over who got to hold it longer.

I will miss his smile. His carefree attitude. His inappropriate jokes. I will miss him totting around my babies and taking selfies with Cosette. I will miss the deeper things - like thinking about how he was the one who baptized me and said the opening prayer at Talmage's funeral. I will miss texting him to say I am coming to town only to hear back, "Sorry we are in Moab, or Mexico, or Arizona." David lived life largely and showed his children so much of this world in the time that he was here. 

His time was not long enough and I miss him. 

7 comments:

Kara Bowman said...

Thank you Cyndi got puttingwords to the thought of all our hearts!

Britt said...

Cyndi,

I am so sorry! What a tragic and unexpected loss. I can't imagine the shock your family must be going through right now. Hugs to you.

Brandi Edvalson said...

Oh Cyndi, my heart is hurting for you and your family right now. What a great loss to your family. Hugs and prayers and love and tears.
Brandi E

Jana Weaver said...

I'm so, so sorry for you and your family's loss. What a beautiful tribute.

HowellAZ said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news. What a loss for your whole family. I just saw the news clip Blake shared on facebook. I'm keeping you all in my prayers.

HowellAZ said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news. What a loss for your whole family. I just saw the news clip Blake shared on facebook. I'm keeping you all in my prayers.

Trisha said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Sending Hugs and Prayers your way.