2.15.2016

Wooden microwave cart refinish...

I'm a sucker for sad misfit furniture... 

Wooden microwave cart DIY
I saw this little guy on Craigslist for $15 and knew he was meant for me. I mean - the clunky wheels, the wood paneling, the laminate top... what is not to love?!? The best part was I snagged it from a true blue hoarder at one of her many storage units. The unit was packed with all kinds of misfits and had Luna not been screaming her head off, I would have spent the rest of the afternoon haggling for some of her prize pieces.

But back to the cart... 
White-washed, butcher block top kitchen cart
After a nice white-wash, an interior paint job, and a wooden butcher block top - he cleaned up nicely.

I've always liked the idea of a movable island but am realistic enough to know that the majority of the time it would just be in the way. But luckily I have this little empty corner in my kitchen that I knew a cart would tuck nicely into. 
Home management center with kitchen cart

This is my home management corner - if you do not have one, I recommend it. This is where the mail is sorted, the weekly calendar and meals are posted, and where all Blake's magazines are hidden until he gets around to reading them (which is usually never - I wish our credit card would stop giving him free ones). There are also batteries, coupons, school papers, and random toys hidden away in here too. The key to having a somewhat tidy home with lots of kids is to have lots of hide-y-holes.
DIY kitchen cart with butcher block top

This little cart is already preforming well for us as one of those shove-into-here-because-company-is-coming places.
White washed kitchen cart with storage

4 comments:

Britt said...

Turned out great. Good job!

Danielle said...

Oh my! I'm in love with your cart!! You amaze and inspire me Cyndi!!! It's gorgeous AND functional!! Well done!! Can't wait to see it in person!!

Jo said...

Looks even better in person. You are very creative and really good at seeing the potential in things...and people...

Love all the things you do!

Thanks for dinner too...it was delicious.

HowellAZ said...

That's rad. Love the transformation.