1.25.2016

That one time I saved my son's life...

Today I was at Wal-mart, standing in the produce section determining whether to buy Roma or on-the-vine tomatoes. Before I could decide, I heard an unusual sound coming from my cart and turned to find Fielding pointing and laughing at Perry. Perry was standing with his mouth open but very little sound was coming out and he was rocking back and forth. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I remembered I had just handed them a small carton of popcorn chicken in an effort to survive a lunch-time trip to the store. I looked at the opened package and back to Perry and it clicked - Perry was choking - severely. So I did what moms do and gave him a few good thumps on his back and waited for the cough that would tell me he was okay. It didn't come. An innocent bystander was witnessing this and yelled, "Raise his arms." So I obediently pulled his wrists to the sky and waited for the cough that would tell me he was okay. It didn't come. At this point, I looked around for my Superman - where is the doctor on a lunchtime stroll to pick up a salad that is going to swoop in and fix this. There was no one, just the stranger who had already offered up her only piece of advice and was now hysterically saying, "OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH!" It was her frantic tone that snapped me out of my reverie. I grabbed Perry from the cart put his back to my chest found the spot directly under his ribs and gave 5 thrusts upwards. I flipped him around and besides being a darker shade of purple there was no change in his facial expression. I looked down his throat but couldn't see the cause to all the problems. My eyes found the stranger's pleading for her to do something but she was just as befuddled as I was. I flipped him back over noticing that he was going limp and tried to ignore the voice in my head that was screaming, "This is not happening. This won't be my story of how he died." I whacked him on the back a few more times, and just before I started in on a blood-curling scream of "I NEED A DOCTOR!!!", I wrapped my arms around him and gave 5 more thrusts... 

Gloriously, mercifully, amazingly - out flew the nugget and finally the cough, I was so eager to hear, came.

I successfully gave my son the Heimlich maneuver today and it was 1000 times awful. But had it turned out only slightly different - if that successfully was prefaced with two little letters - un... I don't know... I can't go there.

The few people I have told have congratulated me - told me it was heroic. It was not. It was desperate and messy and I am shocked that the inadequate training I received 10 years ago came to my mind.  I am just grateful it worked - that this story ends with, "Out flew the nugget." 

And the cute concluding anecdote of my two year old's first post-accident words, "Whoa - scary, Mom." 

I can not even begin to express how grateful I am that this is how this story ends.

A refresher on the Heimlich found here: 

8 comments:

Jana Weaver said...

Very scary, I'm so grateful he's okay.

connie said...

Oh Cyndi...you have had to many life experiences that are beyond scary...thanks for this happy ending. I love you and all those taylors so much.

connie said...

Oh Cyndi...you have had to many life experiences that are beyond scary...thanks for this happy ending. I love you and all those taylors so much.

Bekah said...

Good work Cyndi! Every time I've had to really use my first aid training, I'm always so surprised to realize how difficult & important it is to follow that primary guideline to "Stay Calm/Don't Panic". Especially when you feel completely panicked on the inside. I usually save that feeling for later and have a major freakout after its all over. Give your cute boy a big hug and yourself a well-deserved cookie!

Britt said...

Holy crap!

HowellAZ said...

Now that was a scary story that is enough to freak out any mom. Thanks for sharing the link. So glad you could hold it together and get that dang chicken out of his throat. I saw Blake's post on FB and immediately checked out your blog. Whew for a happy ending!

Christy Jensen said...

Grateful prayers have been said!

Starla said...

I agree with Britt...holy crap! (That's the closest I come to swearing!!) So glad you all survived!! Hugs to you all!