11.08.2015

Around the farm...

 As much as I am not looking forward to the cooler temps - there is one reason I gladly welcomed November into our lives... canning season ends at 11:59pm on October 31st for me. Anything left in the garden or the buckets in my garage are not my problem come November 1st. We have called this year the Year of the Tomato and I hope I don't see another one of those red fruit/veggie until next year. If the apocalypse hit tomorrow - we could last on salsa alone for a good couple of months. I really had low expectations for canning this year and informed Blake that anything I got preserved would be a bonus but not to count on anything - he took this into consideration and couldn't accept it so he joined me in the kitchen for MANY rounds of salsa making. He was the motivating force behind it all this year.

The chickens are thriving, especially the chicks. They are turning into great panhandlers and Henny Penny employs them to beg for corn... and I usually cave and the kids, well - they always cave.

We get about 4 eggs on average in the coop per day and once a week or so we find a stash like this in the compost pile area. Egg hunts have yet to lose their appeal for the kids, especially Fielding.

The pigs are still getting their food dumped on their head. They have feasted on pumpkins and old garden plants for the past little bit. Their water froze this week and we are looking forward to getting them up to weight so we don't have to deal with the freezing issues through the winter. A pig break will be nice.

Here is one of a dozen leaf parties - we could leaf party every day and still have more to rake.

I cleared out the garden and put a fraction of our leaves to use covering the boxes. My sister Jaci and I have both agreed that our favorite part of gardening is cleaning it out at the end of the year.

Life is good on the farm! 

Blake and I were reminiscing that yesterday was the anniversary of when we first looked at this house. Stopping in at the open house, we had no idea that a year later it would be ours with all it's glory... 

and mice... 

and spiders... 

and insane amounts of work.

1 comment:

AndersonGR8 said...

And so much fun and love. And of course all of the family visits would have been a little cramped in the previous home. Thanks for creating such a nice destination for all of us to enjoy!