10.15.2015

I see you...

I just went out to close up the chicken coop for the night. Instead of the usual silent coop, I was greeted by the distraught peeping of 8 little chicks. They were frantically calling from the bottom run up to their mama in the coop. I am pretty sure this was the first time she has been more than one foot from any of them since their birth. I found her hunkered down in the nesting boxes and as I opened the lid she gave me the same look that I often find on my face between the hours of 7-9pm, I am done. I smiled in understanding and gave her a little pep talk:

Oh Henny Penny, I know it is hard. The first is always the hardest and you got 8 for your first. I see you constantly feeding them, teaching them, keeping them warm, and counting them just to make sure you haven't misplaced one.  I see them always touching you and asking for things and getting into all sorts of trouble. You're a good mama and I know you are flat out exhausted but those little guys need you. I know you just want one night of peaceful sleep but tonight isn't that night - you are their warmth, their comfort, their everything. I am sorry but you got to go down there because if you don't no one will.

She rolled her eyes a bit but slowly stretched up and scuttled down to her little flock. The babies quickly forgave her for her moment of solitude and climbed over one another to be the first to get under her wings. They silenced down immediately and as mom gave one last longing look up at the coop and the promises of an uninterrupted night of sleep, I gave her one last look.

I see you Mama. 

I see you.

2 comments:

connie said...

this is so well said and such a great analogy. i love you Cyndi and thanks for being an avid blogger. This should be posted on facebook. i just do not know how.

HowellAZ said...

Yes! I agree...this speaks to moms everywhere, at every stage. And to think a chicken could understand us on such a personal level.