9.27.2015

Compensatory blessings...

There are a few quotes from the living prophets and apostles of my church that I cling to. Here are a select few:

Be kind, and be grateful that God is kind. It is a happy way to live. - Jeffrey R. Holland

Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. It is not something to do if you can squeeze the time in. It is what God gave you time for. - Neil L. Anderson

It is the accumulation of many days well lived that adds up to a full life and a saintly person. - D. Todd Christofferson

These are probably my top favorites - you know - if you get pick things like this to be favorites. But there was always this other quote that I could remember bits and pieces of but not the whole thing and could never find it in it's full context. I knew I loved it and wanted to find it because it applies so much to living life after a loss of a loved one. But this week, when I was reading the lesson for the marriage and family relations class that Blake and I attend for Sunday School, I found it:

Find the compensatory blessings in your life when, in the wisdom of the Lord, He deprives you of something you very much want. With the loss of a dear one, He deepens the bonds of love, enriches memories, and kindles hope in a future reunion. -Richard G. Scott

I found it even more profound that this was the reading material for today because this apostle passed away earlier this week. Out of all the apostles, Elder Scott, talked of death the most. During his earlier years, his wife and him lost a baby at birth and weeks later a 2-year-old son to a heart defect. His wife passed away 20 years ago and he never stopped talking about her and how much he looked forward to being reunited with her.

This upcoming Saturday and Sunday we have General Conference. There will be a new apostle called to fill Elder Scott's position as well as two others to fill the spots of other apostles who passed away recently. This is an unusual occurrence and the members of my faith look forward to learning who these men will be and what they will be directed to say to us. I look forward to General Conference. It gives me a needed spiritual boost. Please join me in hearing the words of living and loving prophets and apostles.

2 comments:

AndersonGR8 said...

Thanks for sharing these favorites and your testimony. One of my favorites, also from an apostle that passed away recently - "There are few things more powerful than the faithful prayers of a righteous mother." Boyd K. Packer

HowellAZ said...

Great quotes. Yes, thanks for sharing. I'm nostalgic about the changes ahead in leadership (if that's the right way to put it).