8.02.2015

Tin foil dinner: meat and potatoes...

Blake left me again for a couple days this past week because he prefers camping with 14 year-old boys as opposed to me. He assures me this is far from the truth as you can get but after being abandoned so many times throughout the years, I do wonder... But anyways, I think I will be sending this into Scouting magazine (Yes - it is a real publication that sadly after 3 moves keeps finding my current address) with the caption Best Scoutmaster's Wife Ever!

Blake wanted to introduce his boy's to different forms of campfire cooking so I tin-foiled it up and made them each one of my classic dinners. After posting about these a dozen times throughout the years, I figured it was time for a recipe.

Tin foil Dinner: Meat and Potatoes (Makes 4 dinners)
Bake 4 potatoes at 350 for 1 hour.
Brown 1lb hamburger then season with Worcestershire sauce and Montreal Steak seasoning (or whatever spice you have on hand).
Peel and slice into rounds 4 large carrots.

Layout two large pieces of foil into an X shape. Unwrap baked potato, slice it into sections and add a nice slab of butter. Add 1/4 of the meat and 1/4 of the carrots on the side. Salt and pepper the whole shebang and add a generous handful of shredded cheese over the potatoes and meat. Wrap tightly up and refrigerate until packing out. I did add bacon crumbles to the potatoes but that is optional, you know depending on if you have an entire chest freezer worth of pork in your house.

Cook over the fire for 5-10 minutes. Everything is precooked so food safety becomes less of an issue - your just warming it up and ensuring all that cheese is nice and gooey. Just be sure to pack a fork.

Blake made it back to me and said the boys gave them 5 stars.

1 comment:

HowellAZ said...

You're amazing! Have I ever mentioned that before???