7.31.2015

Chicken drama...

Living on a "farm" is not for the faint of heart.  I feel responsible for 100's of deaths so far and we have only been here 6 months. We thought we lost one of our chickens to a bobcat (or a very feral cat with all the same markings). Lots of commotion and feathers EVERYWHERE but luckily that smart bird knew a thing or two about playing dead. He was convincing, like so convincing that once we chased the cat away and he sauntered off, my mouth hung in disbelief like I had just witnessed a resurrection. 

The flock and my 8-year-old daughter are all very shaken up by the episode.

Cosie's take on the whole thing - the "girl" it is referring to is one of the hens, the "chikin" is the lead chicken that we just learned the other day (at 5am) is actually a rooster.

3 comments:

HowellAZ said...

Uh oh! I like the 'draw therapy'. :)

Jo said...

You're collecting some pretty good stories!

AndersonGR8 said...

You just may have to keep that life saving rooster around to protect the flock. Farm living - as you say is not for the faint hearted. I look forward to the book and mini-series "Life on the Taylor Farm - survival of the fittest".