1.18.2015

Love the Lord thy God...

The lesson last week at church revolved around the first and great commandment, which we find in the Bible to be, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might, mind, strength." (Mark 12:30).

The discussion in the class centered around how we show our love for God. Most cited that we show this love by praying, studying His words (the scriptures), attending church, loving one another, and service (which was probably mentioned the most frequently).

As the class discussed this and shared examples from their lives, I couldn't help but sit there and think about my own love for God. My relationship with my Heavenly Father is a very personal thing. It is something that is hard to express with words. I know He is real - I know that He knows me - I know that I can turn to Him in prayer. However, I have never been comfortable with talking about how I love Him. 

For instance, I have often heard my family members and close friends pray vocally to their Heavenly Father and close it by saying, "We love thee." This is a statement I have never said. Not because I don't love Him but because the familiarity of it is too hard for me grasp. Verbally saying, "I love my Heavenly Father." is something that is hard for me. I don't know why - it just is.

As I sat there pondering this, I began to question if I was obeying the first commandment. I do a lot everyday but most of it wouldn't rank very high on the spiritual scale. I pray daily but they are often interrupted by a load thump followed by screaming. I read my scriptures each morning but one eye is kept on the text while the other is ensuring that the baby doesn't dump his oatmeal on his head. I attend church weekly but due to the fact that my pew is the most irreverent in the building, I am not always as present as I should be. I do love all of God's children and I try hard to show this love. I serve where I can, when I can - but the majority of the time this service doesn't stretch too far past the walls of my own home or outside of my neighborhood.

I am no Mother Theresa and as I sat there questioning am I truly putting God first in my life, my eyes fell upon this section in the manual:

You mothers, who are especially charged with the righteous rearing of the youth of Zion, are you not putting God first when you honor your divine calling? … Our mothers put God first when they fill their highest mission within the walls of their own homes.
(These words are from a beloved prophet, Ezra Taft Benson, who presided over my church during my childhood.)

And all it took were those two short sentences - to know that my love for Him is enough. 

I have put Him first - because I put them first:

5 comments:

Jana Weaver said...

Beautifully said

Micah Taylor said...

Thanks for sharing Cyndi -- we haven't had that lesson yet, but I needed that message tonight :)

connie said...

Thank you my sweet and wonderful daughter. You make my life more JOYful.

Jo said...

I see your love of God manifested every day in all the thoughtful things you do not just for your family but for everyone you meet - including me.

HowellAZ said...

Thanks for this post. I teach Primary and so I don't get much by way of Sunday School. I really appreciated those two lines that you shared and all your thoughts.