6.23.2014

Pearls...

We spent Saturday night with some friends, watching a slideshow presentation of their recent trip to Bali, Borneo, Malaysia, and other places I would not be able to point to on a map. Just by simply walking into their home, you would know that traveling is their passion. There are maps and art and souvenirs that could only be procured by getting a passport. I found their presentation fascinating and loved their willingness to share their experiences with us lowly state-siders. I also loved their teenage daughter walking our older kiddos to the park so we could enjoy the evening with limited interruption.

As they scrolled through photos of exotic animals, 5-star resorts, and foreign food, I held a wiggly Perry in my lap. This quote from Anne Campbell played on repeat in my mind:

You are the trip I did not take, you are the pearls I could not buy,
you are my blue Italian lake, you are my piece of foreign sky.
You are my Honolulu moon, you are the book I did not write,
you are my heart's unuttered tune, you are a candle in my night.
You are the flower beneath the snow, in my dark sky a bit of blue,
answering disappointment's blow with "I am happy! I have you!”


I knew I wanted a picture of "all my kids" to go with this post so while Blake was busy Sunday morning with church meetings, we went to Talmage's. This was the best we could do in the noonday sun. 

My children love to explore the cemetery so we took some time and visited the reindeer, strolled through the "secret gardens", and walked over to the duck pond. There is an old lighthouse there with a door that I have always loved. We tried a group picture but everyone was over it so we settled on some sibling shots.

Paisley and Cosie.

Fielding and Perry

 And Fielding and Talmage.

I know this is going to sound a little too "6th sense-ish" but these pictures were taken seconds after the one of both boys and when Fielding is just in the frame up pops a giant sun spot...

...twice.

Some could pass it off as nothing. 

A simple reaction that occurred because too much sun bounced around the camera's lens. 

But for me (and Blake) it is more. 

A quiet reminder of Talmage. 

A reminder that he adds to that last line,

You are the flower beneath the snow, in my dark sky a bit of blue,
answering disappointment's blow with "I am happy! I have you!”

4 comments:

AndersonGR8 said...

Those special reassuring experiences of our lives that give it significance and meaning. Those tender mercies that continue to encourage and strengthen.

Jana Weaver said...

What a beautiful message and a wonderful tender mercy.

Jo said...

Sweet.

HowellAZ said...

Chills. So special to know that life doesn't end on earth.