1.14.2012

Memory 3...

November 21, 2010

My third Talmage memory came from our Washington trip during Thanksgiving. We were enjoying the weekend before the big feast with our family. On Sunday, we attended church with my parents. During Relief Society, we were discussing Gifts of the Spirit - specifically the Gift of Prophecy. The discussion was centered around gratitude for prophets and church leaders who receive revelation on our behalf. After leaning over my mom's shoulder to look at her manual, I read the following statement, "Prophets have this gift, but we too can have it to help us govern our own lives (see 1 Corinthians 14:39). We may receive revelations from God for ourselves..." I knew I needed to comment. Commenting in a room full of practical strangers about something personal and spiritual is one of my top 5 least favorite things - but I put on a brave front and made the following comment:

'Sometimes I think we forget that we too have the gift of prophecy and that we are entitled to personal revelation. I am very grateful for the inspiration that we are able to receive from a loving Heavenly Father. When this pregnancy first announced itself, Blake and I both had separate manifestations that I could be carrying twins. I feel like these promptings were enough to prepare us that when we heard the news there was no fear just excitement. I am a worrier and without this little bit of preparation the news of twins easily could have led to fear and anxiety. I am grateful that Heavenly Father knows me enough that he prepared me with these feelings before hand so that when we learned of the news we could really appreciate the blessing that these two babies are. We can receive personal revelation and I am grateful for this.' 

At that time I felt that we had been prompted so that instead of fear only joy accompanied the news. Now I can see that we were also given these hints so that we could enjoy every day with our Talmage because his days were too few. The excitement in our home during those 7 months of my pregnancy will always be a memory I cherish.

2 comments:

Cassidy said...

I was in your mom's last Thanksgiving, and I remember this lesson! Crazy!
I think one of the reasons I love your blog so much, is that when I read what you write about Talmage, I am instantly reminded of all those same feelings that I had/have with our daughter Cael. Most people don't understand what it is like to loose a child... I am so happy that I have a new friend :) that has felt many of the same things that I have felt, and appreciates each little instant of motherhood also.

Cassidy said...

Part 2:
I was thinking. With your boys' birthday coming up, I just thought I'd pass along what has helped with Ammon and I. I am sure you have enough going on, and don't need me to add one more thing but...
That first year of Cael's birthday I was 100% dreading it. I honestly didn't know if I could handle it. I was talking to my mom, and she was saying how if Cael was here, we'd have a birthday party for her... and even though she isn't here physically, she is still a cause for celebration. So, as a family, we decided that each year, on her birthday, wherever we (my parents and siblings) all are, spread across the world, we would all try to go to a session- in celebration of her. I love to think of how many people will receive their endowments, on that day, June 17th, because of Cael! What better way to celebrate these perfect Celestial Spirits!?!
Let me know, if you'd like, we could go to the temple here in Portland for your sweet Talmage on his birthday!