9.07.2011

Distracted...

With the abundance of information that is only a few clicks away, it is easy to get distracted by things that otherwise would be of no significance to you.

For instance, these are all the blogs I "had to quit" -

Coupon Blogs
Craft Blogs
Design Blogs
Photography Blogs
Homeschool Blogs (I am not a homeschooler - they just have good kid activity ideas)
Running Blogs

I realized all these blogs were leading to obsessive and usually negative behavior. Let's take Craft Blogs for instance. There was about a three month period where every day I had to see what Dana, Ashley, and Rae were making. I had to drool over their perfectly photographed creations and dive into a pool of self-loathing that I was not capable of sewing 5 skirts in an hour complete with matching flower clips to send home as Paisley's birthday party favors. I was envious of their ability to craft, sew, photograph, cook dinner (because they just posted the recipe), clean their house (we saw how immaculate it was in the photos), and oh yeah... also be a mom. I would come across a new use for tulle and spend the rest of my day attempting to replicate their idea. In the end, I would have a poorly constructed skirt, frustrated kids, and nothing on the table for dinner.

Now let me interrupt this to say... craft blogs are a good thing. I love their ideas. I love their ability to do it all. I love that they can turn ugly men's shirts into darling dresses. But for me and for my house - I have to limit it. I have to pick and choose. For example, I really wanted a family motto largely displayed in my living room without having to vinyl it to my wall. I googled 'subway art' and had all the information I needed on how to make such a display. So although I don't check every update, I still return when in need of a specific idea.

So that is why I quit all those blogs. Each one was distracting. Each one encouraged me to get 'caught up in the thick of thin things.' Each one made me feel inferior:

If I wasn't able to get 20 packs of gum for free - than I was a coupon failure (I don't even chew gum!!!)
If I bought Motts from Wal-mart - than I was a "I make my own organic-baby-food" failure.
If I used a point-and-shoot and had no idea what a F-stop was - than I was a "this post can help anyone take awesome pictures" failure.
If I didn't have any rustic barn windows laying around - than I was a decorating failure.
If I didn't put in 40 miles a week - than I was a running failure.

There are lots of good things in this world. These things can be a nice reprieve from the everyday ins-and-outs of running a home. It is when these things become a distraction to you and your family from the vital things in life that problems arise.

And each family is unique and your vitals are different than my vitals; your distractions are different than my distractions.

I think Marjorie Hinckley summed it up best:

"As you create a home, don't get distracted with a lot of things that have no meaning for you or your family. Don't dwell on your failures, but think of your successes. Have joy in your home. Have joy in your children. Have joy in your husband."

8 comments:

fluentbrittish said...

Amen! Been there, done that. Except I wipe all of those blogs out of my feed reader, and then I slowly let them creep back in! Then I wipe them all out again, and I make an exception for "just this one" and "just that one" and pretty soon my feed reader is full again. It's a viscous cycle!

Tori said...

I love this post! I know exactly what you mean too. I got to a point where I was on facebook and people's blogs way too much. I gave myself the quote "Stop watching other peole living their lives and go live your own." My family is much happier when we are living our own lives to the fullest and I'm not on the computer watching other people live their lives.

Tori said...

Oh yeah and I know what you mean about photography blogs. They always make me feel so inferior for using a point and shoot and for not having pictures of my babies with lacey feathery headbands.

erin said...

Amen, sista! :D I've been feeling the same way lately. Way too many distractions! Too many things to learn to be good at, and not nearly enough time to do them all. Let alone do them all and raise a happy family. Finding a good balance with everything is tricky! Anyway, I loved this post. Wish we could hang out!

Taylor said...

You are very wise!

Trisha said...

Such great wisdom. Thanks for the thoughts. I have a friend that went through the same experience you did with losing a twin boy at birth. I hope you don't mind that I gave her your blog address. You have such a great outlook on life and are so good with words, I thought it would help her. Here's her blog if you are interested: http://ryanjaimeelloyd.blogspot.com/

The Hardy Things in Life said...

Love the post Cyndi!! I get the same way sometimes. I just need to take a step back to remember my family is first!! You are the best!

AndersonGR8 said...

Excuse me - what is this? No pictures of the kids - come on.
pops